I am a supporter of Micro plastic surgery. I would not want to change how my face look like but I care a lot about my skin condition. haha. On my way back to China, I stopped over Seoul for 3 days and did 2 laser session to remove my face redness/dark spots and uplift face skin a bit. Therefore I guess I could share some of my experience with gals who have such need.
Below are main reasons people would pay thousand dollars flight ticket to Seoul for a face job:
1. They know Asian face better. This is extremely true. I did a few facial laser/IPL session (remove face redness and spots) in New York. at most times, the results are not satisfying. I guess they just do not know Asian skin well enough.
2. It is much cheaper. (Well, for laser and IPL, it is about the same price). If you want to do a nose job/ jaw job or fat extraction, I believe you can easily save thousands US dollars in Seoul. Because this industry is so competitive in Seoul and the price become much reasonable.
3. Doctors are quite experienced... well, Think about how many surgery they need to do each day.
Below is a quite good article/video ABC did on Seoul plastic surgery and share the whole "face change" process 2 Asia girls had in Seoul.
The hospital I went for my skin issue is called - Grand (http://eng.grandsurgery.com/) This is a big hospital with about 15 floors and has quite 5 star decor setting.
So let me highlight a few tips I had in my Seoul trip:
1. What if you do not speak Korean?
No problem! They have translators..your translator would follow you all the way, from consulting with your main doctor, during your surgery and at end of your surgery.... They have a lot Chinese translators haha, they know where the big money are from... English translators are a MUST I believe... I also over heard German speaking translator there too. Just check their website to see if they have your language avaiable.
2. Call them to make reservation before you go.. You do not have to do the surgery and the consulting session is free...
3. It is better you know what you want before getting there...And Do not rely too much on their advice about how your face should look like...(cuz they will make you look like the same Korean doll..xixi)... I was there to fix my skin redness issue and I asked the senior doctor about what to fix on my face... haha...Well, I know my face is far from perfect and he easily spotted a few area I can "Improve" (include my ear! lol)... It is quite tempting, but at end, I guess I like how I look other than the skin problem for now...I like my small eyes and I have no interest to fix my face to look like a doll... (I saw the comparison picture they have...I really feel they are trying to make all girls look the same...well I guess Big eyes and high nose is the standard )
4. Do negotiate the price...It is a thing for Asian ppl... We love love discount and it is a huge motivation.... Therefore after you talk with the doctor, your translator would take you to a receptionist and discuss about what you decide to do and the cost... They will show you a "official price" and "nicely" give you a discount to encourage you to do a few jobs. Trust me, they really want to make a deal with you and they do make $$$$ from you, even if you cut part of the price, they still make good profit.... so one laser session, they told me the official price is $900 and they will offer me $600..at the end, I get it for $400. :) (the safe zone maybe around 15% - 20% off)
5. I would say I am happy about the result.. My skin looks better. With the same money spent in New York, I am sure I would not get the same result.
6.Each hospital has its own specialty, it is good you do some research before pick one. I know they are many Chinese/Korea website ppl sharing their experience...If you really could not found much information, go for a Big hospital, since they have higher risk if screw you up...
7. Buy some skin care/makeup products from Seoul......They are Dirt Cheap! I love them and they are among the best skin care/makeup products I tried..